A semi-truck accident can leave you with painful injuries, mounting medical bills, and emotional trauma. You have a right to be compensated for these losses, and an experienced truck accident lawyer can help you pursue the financial relief and accountability you deserve.
For over 40 years, the law firm of Arrington Schelin has advocated for the rights of accident victims in Bristol and across Virginia. Our firm focuses on motor vehicle accidents, so our lawyers have the experience and resources to build a strong case against the truck driver, trucking company, or another liable party.
We are prepared to take on the insurance companies and aggressively negotiate for a fair settlement for you. Our 18-wheeler accident lawyers can investigate the truck crash, identify all possible sources of compensation, and handle the legal details so that you can focus on healing.
Contact us online or call Arrington Schelin today to speak with a truck accident injury lawyer in Bristol, Virginia, during a free initial consultation.
Do You Have a Truck Accident Claim in Bristol, VA?
If you were injured in a truck accident that was not your fault, you might have a truck accident claim. All motorists, including truck drivers, must obey the rules of the road and drive carefully. When a driver breaches this duty and causes an accident, they may be liable for any injuries and other losses resulting from the crash. Depending on the circumstances, their employer and certain other parties might share liability.
You should speak with our semi-truck accident lawyers as soon as possible to find out whether you have a truck accident claim. An experienced attorney from our law firm can evaluate your case and determine whether you have a viable compensation claim.
Factors Making Truck Crash Claims More Complicated
Truck crash claims are often more complicated than those involving only passenger cars. Some of the following factors may be considered:
- The severity of injuries – Truck accidents typically cause far more severe injuries than crashes between passenger vehicles. The injuries are often serious enough to result in permanent disabilities or require lifelong medical care, which can be incredibly expensive.
- The federal and state regulations – Trucking companies and drivers must comply with numerous federal and state regulations. Determining whether a truck driver, trucking company, or another entity broke a rule in an accident requires extensive knowledge of these laws.
- The number of liable parties – The trucking industry comprises multiple entities, including truck drivers, truck manufacturers, trucking companies, maintenance companies, and loading companies. Identifying which parties are liable for an accident can be challenging.
- The complexity of the trucking industry – The trucking industry is large and powerful and may have multiple layers of insurance to protect them from accident claims.
How Our Bristol Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help You
If you were injured in a truck accident, the experienced attorneys at Arrington Schelin are ready to build a strong case in your favor by:
- Investigating the accident and gathering essential evidence to determine the liable parties
- Evaluating your legal options for pursuing maximum compensation
- Quantifying the full extent of your accident-related losses
- Negotiating with the insurance companies on your behalf
- Advocating for your rights and interests
- Representing you at trial if the insurance company will not agree to a fair settlement
Types of Truck Accidents
Various types of truck accidents can result in serious injuries. According to the Virginia Department of Transportation, 11.7 million trucks traverse the Interstate 81 corridor each year, the state’s highest per capita truck volume. More than one-quarter of all accidents on I-81 involve heavy trucks – the highest percentage for any interstate in Virginia.
Some of the types of commercial truck accidents we see most often include:
- Underride collisions
- Jackknife accidents
- Wide-turn collisions
- Rear-end accidents
- Blindspot accidents
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone accidents
- Poor maintenance or defective parts
- Tire blowouts
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Driver error is one of the most common causes of truck accidents, but other factors may contribute to these crashes. Some of the causes of tractor-trailer accidents include:
- Driver fatigue
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Loose, uneven, or overloaded cargo
- Unlicensed or improperly trained drivers
- Texting, talking on the phone, and other types of distracted driving
- Dangerous road conditions
- Defective equipment and parts
- Poorly maintained vehicles
- Mechanical failure
Common Injuries from Truck Accidents
According to the National Safety Council, 147,000 people were injured in large truck accidents nationwide in just one recent year. Truck accidents can inflict a wide range of injuries, from cuts and bruises to life-altering, debilitating injuries.
Common injuries suffered by truck accident victims include the following:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Amputation or loss of limb
- Damage to internal organs
- Severe back and neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
Types of Compensation After a Truck Accident
If you were involved in a big-rig accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other losses. You might pursue financial relief for the following:
- Medical costs related to your injuries, including hospital stays, surgeries, doctor’s visits, physical therapy, medication, and medical equipment
- Lost wages if you miss work due to your injuries
- Loss of future earning capacity if your injuries result in a permanent disability that prevents you from returning to work or being gainfully employed
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement and permanent scarring
- Diminished quality of life if you can no longer perform daily activities or participate in hobbies
Contact Our Bristol VA Truck Accident Lawyers Today
If you were injured in a Bristol truck accident, the experienced lawyers at Arrington Schelin want to help you pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses. With over 40 years of experience serving injured people in Virginia, we have the knowledge and resources to build a strong case in your favor. Our attorneys are committed to advocating for accident victims and holding at-fault parties accountable for the harm they have caused.
Contact us today to discuss your case for free with one of our Bristol truck accident lawyers.Get Legal Advice Now