A serious accident can change your life. You may be coping with injuries that leave you with overwhelming medical expenses and put you out of work temporarily or permanently. However, if someone else was to blame for your accident, you shouldn’t be the one paying the price. A dedicated Bristol, Virginia personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin can help you fight for the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
For more than 40 years, the attorneys of Arrington Schelin have worked tirelessly to help individuals and families get justice after devastating accidents. We offer compassionate service paired with aggressive advocacy to ensure our clients are completely taken care of throughout the legal process.
Contact our firm today for a free initial consultation with a Bristol personal injury lawyer. If we don’t win money for you, there is no fee.
Do You Have a Personal Injury Case?
You may have a personal injury case if you can show that you were injured in an accident or some other incident that was caused by someone else’s negligence. A person may be considered negligent when they fail to use reasonable care to avoid harming others, such as a speeding driver who causes a car crash.
In a personal injury case, you must also prove that you have sustained some sort of loss due to your injuries for which you can be financially compensated. For example, as a result of your injuries, you may be facing unexpected medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
If you have been hurt in an accident and are wondering whether you have a case, please reach out to our Bristol personal injury law firm. Our attorneys will review your case for free and answer all your questions.
Common Types of Cases Our Bristol Personal Injury Lawyers Take On
At Arrington Schelin, our seasoned Bristol personal injury lawyers have a proven track record of success in helping clients recover compensation after accidents such as:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- RV accidents
- ATV accidents
Time is limited to take action in these types of cases. So we encourage you to contact our firm as soon as possible to discuss your legal rights.
How Much Is Your Personal Injury Case Worth?
In a personal injury case, you may be entitled to recover compensation for financial expenses and losses you have suffered due to your injuries. A full recovery in a personal injury claim may include:
- Costs of your medical treatment, rehabilitation, and therapy
- Costs of long-term care for permanent disabilities that resulted from your injuries
- Lost wages and income from time missed from work while recovering from an accident
- Loss of future earning ability due to long-term disability
- Physical pain and mental suffering caused by your injuries and treatment
- Loss of quality of life due to scarring or due to disabilities that interfere with your ability to enjoy activities
You cannot trust an insurance company to fairly assess your claim on its own. You need an attorney who is dedicated to fighting for your best interests and a maximum recovery.
How Long Do You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
The statute of limitations in Virginia typically gives you only two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the liable party. If you wait too long to take action on your claim, the court can dismiss your case, and you lose your right to compensation.
Because personal injury claims can be complex and require extensive documentation, you should begin working with an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
What You Can Do to Protect Your Rights After an Accident in Bristol, VA
Steps to take to protect your legal rights after being injured in an accident in Bristol include:
- Documenting the accident and your injuries, including taking photos or videos of the accident scene and your visible injuries and getting the contact information for any involved parties or eyewitnesses.
- Seeking medical attention as soon as possible to get a diagnosis and begin treatment
- Following through on all treatment instructions and recommendations.
- Keeping copies of any bills, invoices, and receipts for expenses you incur due to the accident and your injuries. Also have copies of your pay stubs or income statements if you suffer a loss of income due to your injuries.
- Avoiding posting about the accident or your case on social media or posting photos or videos of yourself if you are still going through treatment.
One of the most important moves you can make after a serious accident is talking with a trusted Bristol personal injury lawyer. Our firm is here to help you decide the next steps in pursuing your claim.
Our Attorneys Have Experience in All Types of Injury Claims
The Bristol personal injury lawyers of Arrington Schelin have extensive experience in a broad range of cases involving:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic amputation
- Facial injuries
Personal Injury FAQs
Our team is always here to answer questions. Here are answers to some of the common questions our clients ask about personal injury cases:
Bristol Personal Injury Lawyer
You should retain a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after being hurt in an accident that was caused by another party. The sooner you hire an attorney, the sooner your lawyer can begin investigating your case and recovering evidence or testimony before it is lost or before people’s memories begin to fade. In addition, you only have a limited time to file a lawsuit to pursue your case. Waiting too long to bring your claim may cause you to lose your right to compensation.
If you are presented with a settlement offer from the insurance company, you should speak to a Bristol personal injury lawyer before accepting the settlement. The first settlement offer from the insurance company rarely represents full or fair compensation for your injuries and losses. An attorney can review the details of your case and advise you whether a settlement offer fairly compensates you. If necessary, a personal injury lawyer can contact the insurance company on your behalf to negotiate for a higher settlement offer.
At Arrington Schelin, you will not have to pay any money upfront to hire a Bristol personal injury attorney. We work on a contingency-fee basis, which means we are only paid when we win compensation for you in a settlement or at trial. Our fee is based on a percentage of the total compensation we recover for you.
Compensation awards for pain and suffering are not based on a specific formula. Instead, they are usually based on a combination of factors, including the severity of your injuries, the extent of your financial and personal losses, and the circumstances of your case. The more severe your injuries and the more intensive your medical recovery, the more pain and suffering you are assumed to have endured.
How Our Bristol Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
The legal process may seem daunting, but you don’t have to face the big insurance companies on your own. Our Bristol personal injury attorneys can help you demand the compensation you need and deserve by:
- Performing our own investigation of the accident and your injuries to collect all available evidence to support your case
- Identifying the party or parties responsible for your injuries and potential sources of compensation, such as insurance coverages
- Helping you document the full extent of your losses, including not only medical bills and lost wages but pain and suffering and lost quality of life
- Presenting your claims for compensation to the liable parties and insurance companies
- Handling negotiations with insurance adjusters and defense lawyers for a fair settlement
- Filing a lawsuit when going to court gives you the best chance at securing the maximum financial recovery possible
If you have been injured in an accident that was caused by someone else, contact Arrington Schelin for a free consultation with a compassionate Bristol personal injury attorney. Our legal team can help you fight for full compensation for the harm and losses you have suffered.