If you have been hurt in an accident that was caused by someone else, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your losses. A personal injury claim can help you recover payment for your medical expenses, lost wages, and even for the physical pain and emotional suffering you have endured. A Wise personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin can help you understand your legal rights and fight for the fair recovery you deserve.
Since 1976, the trusted personal injury attorneys at Arrington Schelin have been advocating for accident victims across Virginia. Our firm is exclusively focused on personal injury and motor vehicle accident cases, so we have an in-depth knowledge of the insurance industry and how insurers handle claims. We take pride in providing personalized advocacy and compassionate service to accident victims when they need it most.
Call us today for a free consultation with a knowledgeable Wise personal injury lawyer. There is no fee unless we win money for you.
Do You Have a Personal Injury Case?
After an accident, you may be wondering whether you need a lawyer. You might have a personal injury case if you were hurt in an accident that was caused by someone else’s actions or failure to act. A common example is a motor vehicle collision caused by a driver who did not follow the rules of the road.
In addition to proving that another party caused your injuries, you must show that you have suffered some form of loss for which you can be financially compensated. Common types of damages in a personal injury case include medical bills, missed income, and intangible losses like pain and suffering.
If you have suffered an injury and you believe someone else was to blame, it never hurts to talk to a trusted attorney. At Arrington Schelin, we will review the details of your case for free and give you our honest advice on what you should do.
Common Types of Cases Our Wise Personal Injury Lawyers Handle
At Arrington Schelin, our Wise personal injury lawyers have extensive experience representing clients who have been injured in all types of accidents, including:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- RV accidents
- ATV accidents
Time is limited to file a claim after these types of accidents. So do not wait to get the legal advice you need.
Damages in a Personal Injury Claim
A personal injury claim is intended to help make you financially whole again after a serious accident. A full financial recovery in a personal injury claim may include:
- Medical expenses, including for ER and hospital visits, surgeries or other medical procedures, doctor’s appointments, physical/occupational therapy, prescription medications, or medical and mobility equipment
- Costs of home health services or long-term care for disabilities caused by your injuries
- Loss of wages or income from work missed while recovering from injuries
- Loss of earning capacity, if your injuries prevent you from going back to your job or working in any kind of gainful employment
- Loss of enjoyment and quality of life
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma and distress
If you were injured by someone engaging in willful or wanton conduct, you might also be entitled to an award of punitive damages. These damages are intended to punish the responsible party for their conduct and deter others from similar conduct in the future.
Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Virginia
Under Virginia’s statute of limitations, you typically have only two years from the date on which you were injured to file a lawsuit against the liable party. If you wait until after this deadline has passed, you risk losing the right to recover compensation.
It is important to understand that building a personal injury case takes time. Your attorney will need to investigate your accident, gather all relevant evidence, negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company, and prepare your case for trial. The sooner you start work on your claim, the better off you will be.
How to Protect Your Rights After an Accident in Wise County
If you have been hurt in an accident in Wise County, take the following steps to protect your legal options in a personal injury claim:
- Document the scene of the accident and your injuries, including taking photos or videos of important details
- See a doctor as soon as possible to diagnose the full extent of the injuries you have suffered
- Promptly begin treatment of your injuries and follow all treatment recommendations and instructions
- Keep copies of all bills, invoices, and receipts, as well as paystubs or income statements if you miss work after an accident
- Avoid discussing the accident, your injuries, or your legal case on social media, and refrain from posting photos or videos of yourself engaging in activities while still undergoing treatment for injuries.
Finally, you can best protect your rights and interests by speaking with a Wise personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin as soon as possible. We can help you avoid making mistakes that could jeopardize your claim to compensation.
Common Types of Injury Cases
Our seasoned accident lawyers in Wise, Virginia, have experience helping people who have suffered all types of debilitating injuries, including:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic amputation
- Facial injuries
If you are ready to speak to an attorney about your case, please contact us now for a free consultation.
Personal Injury FAQs
Wise Personal Injury Lawyer
What should I look for in a personal injury lawyer?
You need an attorney with extensive experience in personal injury law. In addition, you should seek out an attorney who has successfully handled injury cases like yours in the past. You should also feel comfortable talking to your attorney and feel confident that you are being heard.
What should I do if the insurance company contacts me?
If an insurance adjuster reaches out to you following an accident, politely decline to discuss the accident or your injuries and losses. Insurance companies want you to give a statement so that they might use something you say against you as you seek fair compensation. Instead, let a Wise personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin handle the communication with the insurer so that your rights and interests are protected by a legal professional.
How do personal injury lawyers get paid?
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis. Under this arrangement, the client does not have to pay any money upfront to hire an attorney. The lawyer only gets paid if and when they win money for the client, either in a settlement or at trial. The lawyer then takes an agreed-upon percentage of the total compensation recovered for the client.
At Arrington Schelin, we are happy to discuss our fees in a free, no-obligation consultation.
How is pain and suffering calculated in Virginia?
Although pain and suffering compensation is not based on an exact formula, you can expect your award for pain and suffering to reflect the severity of your injuries. The worse you were hurt, the more pain and suffering you likely endured. Insurance companies also look at past trials in personal injury cases similar to yours to see what a jury might likely award you for pain and suffering.
Do you pay taxes on a personal injury settlement?
In most cases, you will not have to pay state or federal taxes on the money you receive in a personal injury settlement. Most settlement funds recovered for any physical injury or illness are not taxed because they are considered reimbursement of loss rather than income. However, some types of compensation may be considered taxable. Consult with a professional to make sure you understand how your settlement should be handled.
How Our Wise Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
You don’t have to take on a big insurance company on your own. Let our Wise personal injury attorneys help with your case by:
- Investigating the facts and circumstances of the accident that caused your injuries, and recovering evidence, documents, and witness testimony that we can use to build your legal case
- Ensuring you understand your legal rights and options and what you should expect at each stage of your case
- Collaborating with expert witnesses to help build persuasive arguments regarding any technical issues in your case
- Documenting the full extent of your losses, including the pain and suffering and lost quality of life you have experienced
- Presenting your claim for compensation to the at-fault party or parties and insurance companies, and handling all communications with insurance adjusters or defense lawyers on your behalf
- Aggressively pursuing a negotiated settlement that provides you with the fair and full compensation you deserve
- Filing your claims in court and pursuing litigation all the way to trial if that’s what gives you the best chance at maximum recovery
If you have been hurt through no fault of your own, contact Arrington Schelin today for a free, no-obligation case review with a Wise personal injury attorney. We look forward to helping you.