A serious accident and the resulting injuries can completely change your life. You may face overwhelming financial difficulties as a result of the costly medical care you need, especially if you’re unable to work due to your injuries. You may also suffer from physical pain and emotional distress or a permanent shift in your quality of life.
If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your losses through a personal injury claim. An experienced Grundy personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin can help you fight for the financial recovery you need and deserve.
For more than 40 years, the attorneys of Arrington Schelin have fought for the rights of accident victims throughout Virginia. Reach out to us today for a free initial consultation with an experienced Grundy personal injury lawyer. We are here to help.
What Is Considered a Personal Injury?
If you’re injured as a result of someone else’s careless or reckless behavior, and those injuries cause you to suffer losses, you may be entitled to compensation through a personal injury claim. For example, if a reckless driver going 25 miles over the speed limit crashes into your vehicle, causing you to suffer serious injuries on top of property damage, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against that driver.
To discuss the specific details of your case, please reach out to us today. Our Grundy personal injury attorneys will review your case for free and answer all your questions.
Common Cases Our Grundy Personal Injury Lawyers Handle
At Arrington Schelin, our experienced Grundy personal injury lawyers have an outstanding reputation of helping clients recover full and fair compensation after:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- RV accidents
- ATV accidents
If you believe someone else was to blame for your accident, we can help you understand your legal options. Our personal injury law firm does not charge any fees upfront to begin work on your case. In fact, we only get paid if we recover money for you.
Demanding Full Compensation in a Personal Injury Claim
Through a personal injury claim, you may be able to recover compensation for losses such as:
- Expenses for medical treatments, including ER or hospital visits, doctors’ appointments, surgeries or other procedures, prescription medications, physical therapy, or medical equipment
- Costs for long-term care or home health services needed to help you with permanent disabilities
- Lost wages or income after taking time off work to treat your injuries
- Loss of earning capacity due to disabilities that prevent you from returning to work
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional or mental trauma and distress
- Lost enjoyment or quality of life because of permanent scarring, disfigurement, or physical disabilities
Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Cases in Virginia
The personal injury statute of limitations under Virginia law generally gives you only two years from the date you were injured to file a lawsuit against the liable party. If you wait too long to file a personal injury lawsuit, you risk having your case dismissed by the court.
Personal injury cases take time to prepare. So the sooner you speak to a skilled attorney, the better.
How to Protect Your Rights After an Accident in Buchanan County
There are so many things that are out of your control after an accident. Still, you can take steps to protect your rights and to put yourself in a good position to pursue a claim for compensation. These include:
- Documenting details from the accident that caused your injuries, including taking photos or videos, preserving physical evidence, and getting contact information from any involved parties or eyewitnesses
- Seeking medical attention as soon as possible to identify all the injuries you may have suffered and to begin treatment and recovery from your injuries
- Following through on all treatment recommendations and instructions to ensure that your injuries and losses are fully documented
- Keeping records of medical expenses and your lost wages, as well as starting a journal to record how your injuries impact your daily life
- Avoiding discussing your injuries or your legal case on social media
- Speaking to a Grundy personal injury lawyer about your rights and letting a professional handle all communication with the at-fault parties and insurance companies
Common Types of Catastrophic Injury Cases
The Grundy personal injury lawyers of Arrington Schelin can help you seek full compensation after catastrophic accidents resulting in:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic amputation
- Facial injuries
Many of the people we work with will require a lifetime of treatment. That’s why we fight for the full payment they need to get the best care possible.
Personal Injury FAQs
Here are some of the most common questions we receive from clients about their personal injury cases:
Grundy Personal Injury Lawyer
You may be worried about the expense of hiring a personal injury lawyer to pursue your claims. However, accident victims who are represented by legal counsel typically recover more compensation than those who choose to pursue their personal injury claims on their own. That’s because insurance companies know they are negotiating with someone who does not have much experience with these claims and who will not be ready to take a case to trial.
A seasoned personal injury lawyer negotiates from a position of strength and knows all the tactics insurance companies may use. A lawyer can handle all the details of your case and take the pressure off you while you heal.
If you are contacted by an insurance adjuster, you should decline to discuss details of the accident or your injuries. If you agree to give a statement regarding the accident, the insurance company may later use something you said against you to deny your claim or pay you less than the full compensation you deserve.
You are better off having the insurance adjuster talk directly with your Grundy personal injury lawyer, who can provide the insurance company with the information it needs while protecting your rights and interests.
A Grundy personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin will handle your case on a contingency-fee basis. In a contingency-fee arrangement, you do not pay any money upfront to hire a lawyer. Instead, we get only paid when we secure compensation for you in a settlement or at trial. We are then paid an agreed-upon percentage of the total compensation we have recovered for you. If we don’t win, you don’t pay.
Although pain and suffering is not calculated according to a strict formula, your pain and suffering compensation will likely be based on the severity of your injuries. If you have undergone intensive medical treatment or have been left with permanent disabilities or emotional trauma, you may be entitled to a higher award for pain and suffering. In addition, insurance companies will look at what juries in your area have awarded for pain and suffering in personal injury cases like yours.
Normally, you do not have to pay taxes on the money you receive in a personal injury settlement for physical harm you suffered. Compensation in a personal injury settlement is considered reimbursement for losses, rather than income that can be taxed. However, some specific types of compensation you receive may be considered taxable. So be sure to discuss this with a professional.
How Our Grundy Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
Our Grundy personal injury attorneys can handle all the hard work in preparing and pursuing your case, including:
- Investigating the accident and your injuries to recover all the evidence needed
- Identifying all potentially liable parties and sources of compensation
- Building an effective, persuasive case for your claim to compensation, including working with accident reconstruction experts or other expert witnesses who may be able to offer insights that support your case
- Documenting your losses and building a persuasive argument for the maximum compensation you deserve
- Filing claims with insurance companies and handling communications and settlement negotiations on your behalf
- Preparing your case to go to trial if necessary to fully pursue your legal options and fight for maximum financial recovery for you
If you were hurt due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, contact Arrington Schelin today for a free, no-obligation case review with our Grundy personal injury attorneys. We’ll work tirelessly to pursue the fair compensation you need to move forward.