Severe injuries can take a significant toll on your life in the form of debilitating pain, bank account-draining medical bills, and lost income from time missed at work. But if you were not responsible for your injuries, you should not be left paying for them out of pocket. While there is no way to undo what happened, the Kingsport personal injury lawyers at Arrington Schelin can help you demand accountability from the at-fault party.
Our Kingsport personal injury attorneys are committed to helping injured Tennesseans in Sullivan and Hawkins counties. We are proud of the reputation we have built over 40-plus years of service and the personalized care we provide each client. We want to get to know you, understand your case inside and out, and prepare a strategy to aggressively pursue the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle in Kingsport
Our Kingsport personal injury lawyers have experience handling a wide range of cases, including:
- Car accidents – Negligent drivers injure tens of thousands of people in Tennessee every year. If another driver hit you, we can help you pursue maximum compensation. Common examples of negligence include impaired driving, distracted driving, aggressive driving, drowsy driving, tailgating, speeding, and failing to yield the right of way.
- Semi-truck wrecks – Truckers can cause horrific injuries when they fail to follow traffic laws and safety regulations. Other potentially liable parties in a semi-truck accident case include trucking companies, maintenance workers, cargo loaders, and truck manufacturers.
- Motorcycle crashes – Motorcyclists are at particular risk of injury because they lack safety protections and respect from other motorists. When careless drivers cause motorcycle accidents, they must be held accountable.
- Pedestrian accidents – Distracted, impaired, or drowsy drivers put pedestrians in danger. The risk of a pedestrian accident increases at night, as pedestrians can be harder to spot in the dark.
- Boating accidents – Boating accidents often occur when operators ignore safety regulations, such as not drinking while on the water. Other potentially liable parties include passengers, boat rental companies, and boat manufacturers, for example.
- RV accidents – Recreational vehicles are many times larger and heavier than typical passenger vehicles, yet most require no special license to operate. Inexperienced and careless drivers contribute to many RV accidents, while manufacturers may be liable for collisions caused by defective parts or designs.
- Dog bites – Even seemingly friendly dogs can cause severe injuries if they attack. In many cases, the dog’s owner can be held liable for the damage it causes, often through their homeowners’ or renters’ liability insurance coverage.
- Child injuries – Children who suffer severe injuries may have to live with the effects for the rest of their lives. We can help you hold negligent parties responsible for the harm they’ve caused your child.
- Slip-and-fall accidents – Property owners and businesses have a legal duty to keep their premises safe for lawful visitors. If a negligent business or property owner caused you to slip and fall, you have the right to demand compensation.
- Construction accidents – Construction sites include many hazards that can cause an accident, from dropped tools and loose debris to toxic chemicals and dangerous equipment. Property owners, construction companies, subcontractors, and individual workers may be liable if you sustain any injuries at a construction site.
- Defective products – Unfortunately, far too many unsafe products are on the market today. Dangerous products include everything from hazardous medications and toxic cleaning products to unsafe children’s toys and flawed medical devices, among many others. We know how to hold companies responsible for manufacturing or design defects.
Damages You Could Recover in a Personal Injury Claim
Our Kingsport personal injury attorneys are ready to help you seek substantial compensation after an accident. Depending on your injuries and other factors, you could receive compensation for the following losses:
- Lost wages and reduced future earnings
- Medical bills, including the cost of future care
- Diminished quality of life due to a disability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Is There a Time Limit for Filing a Kingsport Personal Injury Claim?
Tennessee law says you have one year from the date of an accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. One year is not long, so you should speak to our personal injury lawyers as soon as you can after an accident. If you wait too long to take action, you could lose your right to seek compensation.
How Long Does a Kingsport Personal Injury Case Take?
How long a personal injury case takes depends on several factors that are unique to every case. Some personal injury cases take a few weeks or months, but many take longer. The basic steps in a personal injury case are:
- Meeting with an attorney – Our personal injury lawyers offer free consultations, in which we will review your case and tell you if you could be eligible for compensation.
- The initial investigation – After you hire our attorneys, we will investigate the accident to identify the liable parties and gather evidence to support your case.
- Filing an insurance claim – Once the initial investigation is finished, your lawyer can file an insurance claim against the liable parties.
- Insurance settlement negotiations – Most personal injury cases end in insurance settlements. It is up to your lawyer to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Signing the settlement or preparing the case for trial – Ideally, your lawyer and the insurance companies will work out a fair settlement, in which case you can accept the money in exchange for waiving your right to take legal action. If the insurance company will not make a fair offer, it is time to take your case to court and ask a judge or jury to award you compensation. Going to trial can significantly extend the case’s timeline.
Ways Our Kingsport Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
Some of the ways our Kingsport personal attorneys can help with your case include:
- Reviewing your case and explaining your potential options
- Investigating the evidence to identify who is liable for your injuries
- Gathering evidence to strengthen your case
- Filing an insurance claim in time to avoid issues with the statute of limitations
- Communicating with the insurance companies, lawyers, and others involved in the case
- Negotiating from a position of strength for a fair settlement
- Preparing your case for trial if the insurance company will not agree to a fair settlement
Talk to a Kingsport Personal Injury Lawyer Now
You have no time to waste if you want to recover the compensation you need for a personal injury in Kingsport TN. The legal team at Arrington Schelin is ready to fight for your rights and help you hold the negligent parties accountable. Contact us today for a free consultation.Get Legal Advice Now