If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Smyth County, VA, you may be facing mounting medical bills and lost wages from time missed at work – not to mention extensive pain and suffering. If someone else was at fault for the crash, you are likely owed compensation for these and other losses. The Smyth County car accident law firm of Arrington Schelin wants to help you demand the compensation you deserve.
Our dedicated attorneys have more than 40 years of experience advocating for accident victims in Smyth County and throughout southwest Virginia. We use our in-depth knowledge of Virginia state law and the insurance industry to pursue maximum compensation on your behalf. When you need a Smyth County crash injury lawyer to fight for the justice you deserve, you need Arrington Schelin.
Contact our office for a free initial consultation.
Do I Need a Lawyer After a Smyth County Car Accident?
Hiring a lawyer after a car accident in Smyth County gives you a better chance of securing the full compensation you deserve. Navigating the insurance claims process and the legal system can be difficult, especially if it is your first time. Instead of going at it alone, let a lawyer build a solid case in your favor by:
- Conducting an independent investigation into the cause of the car crash and determining who is liable for your injuries
- Gathering evidence to substantiate your claim
- Identifying all potential sources of compensation
- Calculating the full and fair value of your losses
- Communicating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Handling important documentation and managing deadlines
- Negotiating with insurance companies from a position of strength to seek maximum compensation on your behalf
- Representing you in court if negotiations fail
How Much Is My Car Accident Case Worth?
Bills can pile up quickly after a car accident. Understandably, you may be wondering how much your case could be worth. No two car accident cases are exactly the same, and the answer depends on the circumstances of your case.
That said, most successful car accident cases allow victims to get compensation for monetary and personal losses they incurred due to the crash. Typically, you can pursue compensation for:
- The cost of treating your injuries, including doctor’s bills, hospital stays, prescription medications, physical therapy, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages if you cannot work due to your injuries
- Loss of future earning capacity if your injuries result in a permanently disabling condition
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life if your injuries prevent you from participating in hobbies or other activities you enjoy
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful-death benefits if a close family member died in a car crash
- The cost of repairing vehicle damage
Common Types of Car Accidents in Smyth County, Virginia
Examples of common car-accident types of our firm handles in Smyth County, Virginia, include:
- Rear-end collisions
- T-bone or side-impact crashes
- Head-on collisions
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Single-vehicle collisions
- Multi-car accidents or pileups
Top Causes of Car Accidents in Smyth County
The most common contributing factors in car accidents in Smyth County are forms of driver error, such as:
- Distracted driving – A driver using their cell phone, programming a GPS, eating, lost in conversation, or who is otherwise distracted is one who cannot respond to changing road conditions in time to avoid an accident.
- Drunk driving – A driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs will have impaired reflexes and judgment, increasing the chances of an accident.
- Fatigued driving – Drowsy driving can be as dangerous as intoxicated driving.
- Aggressive or reckless driving – Drivers who weave in and out of traffic, cut off other drivers, or take other aggressive actions are likely to cause a crash.
- Speeding – Speeding or driving too fast for conditions can leave a driver without enough time and space to react before colliding with another vehicle.
- Unsafe lane changes – A driver who suddenly changes lanes without looking and signaling puts others at risk of injury.
- Tailgating – A driver following too closely will not have enough stop time to avoid a rear-end collision.
- Failure to yield – Failing to yield the right of way when required is one of the most common causes of motor vehicle collisions.
Other factors like poor weather conditions and defective mechanical parts can contribute to serious car wrecks.
Types of Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Car accidents can be violent, even at low speeds. Often, victims experience traumatic injuries that leave both physical and emotional scars. Often, these injuries result in life-changing impairments. Some of the most common injuries caused by car accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other emotional damage
Statute of Limitations on Car Crashes in Smyth County, Virginia
Virginia’s statute of limitations on personal injury claims gives you only two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for your losses. Although two years may seem like a long time, building a solid car accident case can take months. It is crucial to contact an attorney as soon as possible. If you miss the two-year deadline, courts will almost certainly dismiss your lawsuit, eliminating your chance to pursue compensation from the at-fault party.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Smyth County Today
If you were injured in a car accident that was not your fault, the experienced car accident attorneys at Arrington Schelin want to help you seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation with a car accident lawyer in Smyth County and tell us more about your case.