If you’ve been hurt in an accident, you may be facing overwhelming medical bills and an unexpected leave from work. If someone else was to blame for your injuries, you shouldn’t be the one paying the price. Talk to a trusted Lebanon personal injury lawyer at Arrington Schelin about your right to full compensation.
For over four decades, the respected attorneys of Arrington Schelin have served as dedicated advocates for the rights of accident victims across Virginia. Our team has the experience and the resources necessary to seek out every possible source of compensation in your case. We will help you pursue the physical and financial recovery you need.
Contact us today to discuss your legal rights with a knowledgeable Lebanon personal injury lawyer from our firm. During this free consultation, you’ll learn how we can help take the pressure off you by handling all the details of your personal injury claim.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Personal Injury Claim?
To succeed in a personal injury claim, you must prove that someone else’s negligent or reckless actions led to your accident and the resulting injuries. You must also prove that you have incurred some form of loss for which you can be financially compensated — such as medical bills, loss of income, and pain and suffering.
If you have been hurt in an accident and want to discuss your legal rights, please reach out. Our Lebanon personal injury attorneys are here to help.
How Can Our Lebanon Personal Injury Lawyers Help You?
Our Lebanon personal injury lawyers have extensive experience representing clients who have been injured in:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- RV accidents
- ATV accidents
With a focus on motor vehicle accidents, our firm has in-depth knowledge of the insurance industry and how these claims are handled. We have a long track record of success in a variety of personal injury cases.
How Much Is Your Personal Injury Claim Worth?
If you were hurt in an accident caused by someone else, you might be entitled to recover compensation for the expenses and losses you have suffered, including:
- Costs of your medical treatment and rehabilitation, such as surgeries, doctor’s appointments, prescription medication, physical rehab, and other out-of-pocket expenses
- Costs of home health services or other long-term care for any disabilities stemming from the accident
- Loss of wages or income after missing time from work to recover from an accident
- Lost future earning ability if your injuries prevent you from going back to your job or performing other gainful employment
- Physical pain and emotional/mental suffering
- Permanent scarring/disfigurement and physical disabilities that cause a reduction in your quality of life
No one can tell you right off the bat how much your personal injury case is worth. Your lawyer will need to document the full extent of your damages, which includes future anticipated losses. Your lawyer may also need to consult with experts to get a thorough picture of how your injuries will affect you.
Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Virginia
The statute of limitations on personal injury claims in Virginia places a time limit on filing a lawsuit seeking damages. Typically, you only have two years from the date of an accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you wait too long, you will lose the right to pursue financial recovery from those responsible for your injuries.
Building a strong case takes a lot of legal legwork. The sooner you speak with a Lebanon personal injury attorney, the better off you will be.
What to Do After an Accident in Russell County
Taking the following steps can safeguard your legal rights for pursuing compensation after an accident in Russell County:
- Document details of the accident, using your phone to take photos or videos of the accident scene and any visible injuries you have suffered. Exchange information with anyone else involved in the accident, and get the contact information of any eyewitnesses.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Get checked by a doctor for any injuries you sustained. Follow all treatment instructions and recommendations that your medical providers give you.
- Keep copies of all bills, invoices, receipts, and other records of expenses or lost income that you have incurred.
- Avoid social media as you pursue your personal injury claim. At the very least, do not discuss the accident, your injuries, or your case on social media or with family and friends. Insurance companies and their lawyers may use anything you post to social media as evidence to deny or downplay your claims.
- Talk to a Lebanon personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin to discuss your legal options for seeking financial recovery. Your lawyer will work quickly to protect your rights and help you decide your next steps.
Common Types of Injury Claims
Our attorneys have a proven track record of success in securing our clients compensation for:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic amputation
- Facial injuries
Personal Injury FAQs
It’s natural to have a lot of questions after an accident. Our lawyers are here to help. Here are some answers to common questions about personal injury claims.
Lebanon Personal Injury Lawyer
When do you need a Lebanon personal injury lawyer?
You should retain an experienced Lebanon personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin as soon as possible after an accident. By retaining the services of a personal injury attorney in a timely fashion, you give your lawyer the best chance at recovering all available evidence before it is lost or destroyed. Getting a quick start on your personal injury claim also means that you have proper legal guidance and can avoid common mistakes that people make when they don’t have an attorney.
What should I say if an insurance adjuster contacts me?
If you are contacted by an insurance adjuster after an accident, you should politely decline to give a statement and instead direct the adjuster to contact your Lebanon personal injury lawyer at Arrington Schelin. Insurance adjusters are skilled in using statements provided by injured accident victims against them, pointing to certain details to either deny the victim’s insurance claim outright or to offer less than full compensation. By letting your attorney handle communications with the insurance adjuster, you can rest easy knowing that your claim is in capable hands.
How much does it cost to hire a Lebanon personal injury lawyer?
You can hire an experienced Lebanon personal injury lawyer from Arrington Schelin to help with your case at no upfront cost to you. Our firm handles personal injury cases on a contingency-fee arrangement. This means we are only paid when we secure compensation for you in a settlement or at trial. Our fee is then paid as a previously agreed-upon percentage of the total financial recovery we obtain for you.
How is pain and suffering determined in Virginia?
A pain and suffering award is not based on a specific formula but rather on how injuries can affect your life. Generally, the more serious your injuries, the greater the compensation you may be entitled to for your pain and suffering. Serious injuries are usually assumed to cause greater physical pain and emotional distress, both on their own as well as from the medical treatments needed to care for those injuries.
If you have questions about whether you may be entitled to pain and suffering compensation as part of your personal injury claim, please reach out to us.
Do you have to pay taxes on a personal injury settlement?
Normally, the compensation you receive from a personal injury settlement is not taxed at either the state or federal level. That’s because any portion of a settlement paid for physical harm is considered reimbursement of losses rather than taxable income. Talk to your attorney about the specifics of your settlement.
How Our Lebanon Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
If you have never been involved in a legal case before, pursuing a personal injury claim may seem complex and intimidating. Let the experienced Lebanon personal injury attorneys of Arrington Schelin help with pursuing your legal r options. Our team can work quickly to investigate your case and preserve all the evidence. We will work closely with relevant experts and handle the insurance companies on your behalf. Our attorneys will also be prepared to take your case to trial if all other options have been exhausted.
Call Arrington Schelin today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation with a Lebanon personal injury attorney.