If someone else’s recklessness has left you with life-altering injuries, you need to learn about your legal rights. You should not be left to pay the price for someone else’s mistake. Let the Tazewell personal injury lawyers at Arrington Schelin help you demand the compensation you need to move forward after an accident.
For more than 40 years, our personal injury attorneys have fought for the rights of accident victims across Virginia. Over that time, our team has developed in-depth knowledge of the insurance industry and how insurers fight injury claims. Our experience gives us an important advantage when facing insurers at the negotiating table and in the courtroom. Let us fight for you now.
Contact our Tazewell personal injury law firm today for a free initial consultation. You don’t pay anything for us to start work on your case. In fact, you only pay attorney fees if we secure payment for you.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Personal Injury Case?
To recover compensation in a personal injury case, you will need to prove that someone else’s actions or inactions caused your accident and the resulting injuries. You will also need to show that you suffered losses as a result. Examples of losses include medical expenses, lost income, and intangible damages such as pain and suffering.
If you are wondering whether you may be entitled to compensation after an accident, contact a Tazewell personal injury attorney today.
How Our Tazewell Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You
Our Tazewell personal injury lawyers at Arrington Schelin are committed to helping people who have been seriously hurt in:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- RV accidents
- ATV accidents
Do not wait to get trusted legal advice if someone else’s negligence led to your accident. Contact us today for a free consultation.
What Can You Recover in a Personal Injury Claim?
If you have been injured due to someone else’s reckless or careless actions, you could be entitled to recover compensation for the expenses and losses that you have incurred, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, costs of surgeries and other medical procedures, prescription costs, doctor’s appointments and physical therapy, and out-of-pocket purchases of medical or mobility equipment
- Costs of long-term care services needed for permanent disabilities you have suffered due to your injuries
- Lost wages or income if you are kept out of work while recovering from your injuries
- Lost earning ability and loss of employment benefits if you are permanently disabled
- Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and lost quality of life due to scarring, disfigurement, and disability caused by your injuries
How Long Do You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Virginia?
Under Virginia’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims, you typically have only two years from the date of an accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. If you wait too long to take action, you could lose the right to claim compensation. The best move you can make is to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights After an Accident in Tazewell County
After an accident in Tazewell County, there are steps you can take to preserve your legal rights and put yourself in the best position to start your personal injury claim:
- If possible, document the accident scene. This includes exchanging information with everyone else who was involved in the accident, taking photos or video of the accident scene and any visible injuries you suffered, talking to any eyewitnesses, and filing an official report, if possible.
- See a doctor right away to get examined and begin treatment.
- Follow any treatment instructions and recommendations that you are given.
- Keep copies of all bills, invoices, receipts, and your paystubs or income statements.
- Avoid discussing the accident, your injuries, or your legal claim with family and friends or on social media.
- Contact a Tazewell personal injury lawyer for a free consultation to discuss your next steps.
Common Types of Catastrophic Injury Cases
At Arrington Schelin, our Tazewell personal injury lawyers have extensive experience helping those who’ve suffered severe injuries, including:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic amputation
- Scarring and disfigurement
Personal Injury FAQs
Our team is always here to answer your legal questions. Here are answers to some of the most common questions accident victims tend to have.
Tazewell Personal Injury Lawyer
You might need a personal injury lawyer if you were injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness. A personal injury lawyer could help you understand your rights and pursue a claim for compensation. To maximize your chances of recovering the full compensation you need, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after being hurt in an accident.
If an insurance adjuster calls you or sends you a letter asking you for a statement regarding the accident and your injuries, direct the insurance company to your Tazewell personal injury lawyer instead. When an insurance adjuster asks you for a statement, they are hoping that you might say something damaging to your case that the insurance company can use to deny your claim or offer you less than full compensation. Your lawyer can communicate with the insurance company on your behalf while looking out for your rights and interests.
At Arrington Schelin, a Tazewell personal injury lawyer can begin work on your case at no upfront cost to you. We handle personal injury cases on a contingency-fee basis, meaning we do not get paid until we secure financial compensation for you in a settlement or at trial. If we win your case, we are paid a previously agreed-upon percentage of the total recovery we obtain for you.
Compensation for the pain and suffering you endure is largely based on the severity of the injuries you incurred. If you have suffered serious injuries, you may be assumed to have suffered significant pain due to those injuries and the treatment you have had to undergo (such as surgeries or other medical procedures). An attorney from our firm can help you understand your options for pursuing pain and suffering damages.
Taxes are not normally imposed on the funds received in a personal injury settlement. Compensation for physical harm in a personal injury settlement is considered a reimbursement of losses rather than income that can be taxed. However, talk to your lawyer about the specifics of your compensation.
How Our Tazewell Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
When you need legal advice after being hurt in an accident, turn to the Tazewell personal injury attorneys of Arrington Schelin. We can assist with:
- Investigating the accident that caused your injuries and securing evidence to build your legal case
- Identifying potentially liable parties and sources of compensation, such as insurance coverages
- Helping you document your expenses and losses
- Working with expert witnesses, if necessary, to develop persuasive arguments for the technical issues in your case
- Presenting your claims to the at-fault parties and insurance companies, aggressively negotiating for a fair and full personal injury settlement
- Preparing your case to go to trial, if the other side won’t agree to a fair settlement
Contact Arrington Schelin today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Our experienced Tazewell personal injury attorneys are here to help you move forward with your life after a serious accident.